About 3 billion people in 500 million homes use polluting, inefficient cookstoves that cause almost 4 million deaths per year and other health impacts, including pneumonia, glaucoma, lung cancer, pulmonary disease, cardiovascular disease and low birth weight. In addition, smoke from polluting cookstoves contributes to climate change and deforestation.
In September 2010, a broad set of international governments, companies, UN agencies, and nongovernmental organizations formally launched the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves at the Clinton Global Initiative. The Alliance, an innovative public-private partnership to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women and combat climate change, included 19 founding partners. Today we have a total of 850 partners. With an ambitious goal to foster the adoption of clean cookstoves and fuels in 100 million households by 2020, the initiative is working to establish a thriving global market for clean cooking solutions by addressing the market barriers that currently impede the production, deployment, and use of clean cookstoves in developing countries.
The Alliance is seeking to recruit a seasoned professional in the role of Senior Director for Global Market Development. The Senior Director will serve as a member of the senior Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (Alliance) leadership team. S/he will be responsible for global cookstove market development and the building of the evidence base to nurture and support the market. This position is both strategic and operationally oriented with significant bottom line accountabilities.
The Senior Director, Global Market Development serves as a member of the senior executive team reporting to the Executive Director, and works in conjunction with other members of the Alliance staff. The Senior Director will also work closely with Alliance partners, multilateral institutions, venture and patient capitalists, multinational companies, social entrepreneurs and government authorities in-country to ensure alignment across all partners and activities in support of a strong market for clean cookstoves and fuels.
Specific responsibilities and deliverables include:
Country Operations and Global Market Development
• Lead the development of market-enabling strategies and implementation plans at the global level and for each Alliance target country. There are currently six target countries with two more likely to be added in the next year. Develop tailored strategies that meet Alliance goals in each target country and a broader strategy and menu of options that will be applicable for other “partner” countries interested in catalyzing their own markets.
• Develop and execute annual operating plans for each of these target countries complete with intermediate milestones and deliverables, with a balance scorecard or indicators and metrics. Clearly define roles and engagement priorities for Alliance partners, local and national government actors and other critical stakeholders.
• Directly manage Alliance country market managers in each of the target countries. The Alliance currently has six market manager that range in tenure from nine months to just one month with the Alliance.
• Strengthen the Alliance’s investment and carbon strategy and manage a small team of staff already active in driving investment into the sector.
• The Senior Director is accountable for all Alliance market related activities in each country and in scaling up market efforts as the Alliance enters Phase 2 of its business plan in 2015.
• Represent the Alliance at high-level meetings and conferences with critical Alliance stakeholders.
Contribute to Strategic Objective of the Alliance
• Provide input on Alliance priorities and engagement at global levels.
• Provide strategic support to the Executive Director on transition to Phase 2 of Alliance Business Plan
• Contribute in the strategic planning of the Biennial Forum and other major Alliance global events.
The Senior Director will have ten to fifteen years of experience in related market development/social enterprise development/venture capital or investing in developing country markets. Direct relevant strategy development experience in emerging markets (i.e., development of enterprise-based solutions for base of the pyramid consumers) is necessary. The ideal candidate will have driven research and analysis of these markets and managed execution and scaling up of markets in a related sector. In-country experience is a strong plus.
Given the breadth of work, a background in international development, global health, clean energy, climate, small business development, public policy and/or micro finance are all areas of preference and interest. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in leading market development efforts in multiple countries. Demonstration of working effectively in international settings ranging from high-level diplomatic to corporate and grass-roots/field settings is required.
It is essential the Senior Director has strong leadership skills, including independent initiative, staff management and coordination, meeting facilitation, flexibility, ability to drive multiple aspects of initiatives and projects from inception to implementation within a limited time frame, and ability to develop and sustain effective working relationships with people of diverse backgrounds and levels of expertise.
Excellent communications skills, written and oral, including keen attention to detail and ability to express complex ideas clearly to a broad range of audiences are required.
To apply, please send a full CV and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Russell Reynolds Associates
1701 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20006-5810