Save the Date
India Stakeholder Consultations: Moving Towards a Common Vision of Sector and Indian Market Needs
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and Sri Ramachandra University invite you and your colleagues based in India to participate in the Indian stakeholder consultation being held in Chennai this January 17-18, 2013.
With the new global burden of disease estimates that cite cookstove smoke as the number one environmental health threat in the world and double previous estimates of deaths from 2 million per year to more than 4 million annually, it is now more important than ever that we work to solve this issue and enable households globally to adopt clean cookstoves and fuels. This is especially important in South Asia, where in terms of healthy years lost household air pollution is the number one risk factor for both men and women. With these striking new figures and greater realization of the true impact that traditional cookstoves have on families globally, we must act now to prevent these numbers from growing.
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves is an innovative public-private partnership comprised of more than 475 partners working together to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women, and combat climate change by creating a thriving global market for clean cooking solutions. The Alliance’s partners include national governments, the private sector, UN agencies, foundations, non-governmental organizations, and academic institutions. With the ambitious goal of enabling 100 million households to adopt clean cooking solutions by 2020, the Alliance is working to identify and implement solutions to overcome the many market barriers that currently impede the production, deployment, and use of clean cookstoves and fuels at scale.
The India stakeholder consultations, cohosted by local partners, are an important step in a broader process currently undertaken by the Alliance to convene partners and other key stakeholders in order to:
• Share the Alliance’s global strategic business plan and recent updates with partners and other key stakeholders;
• Discuss the findings of and provide additional suggestions to the Indian cookstoves and fuels market assessment;
• Identify national initiatives and priorities that improved cookstoves could be incorporated into as a means for achieving national goals;
• Discuss how the Alliance and its partners might add value to ongoing efforts to spur the clean cookstoves sector nationally and in targeted states; and
• Allow for formal and informal networking among local and national players in the cookstoves sector and related sectors.
We welcome partners to participate in any or all of the stakeholder consultations. Please feel free to share this invitation with colleagues or others who may be interested in attending. Additional information, including a formal invitation, meeting program, as well as background and logistical information will follow in the coming weeks.